Caring for the planet is a natural extension of Hyatt’s purpose – to care for people so they can be their best. At Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui, we are taking a number of steps to help make a difference.
Our Green Committee was created with the purpose of leading the sustainability efforts of the hotel, formed by colleagues across all departments. We use Hyatt EcoTrack to track metrics including greenhouse gas emissions, energy, water, waste, and recycling. By collecting data, we are able to generate insights that are important in advancing efficiency and reducing our impacts wherever possible.
While we acknowledge that there is still much to be done, we are committed to actively seeking out alternatives, innovations and ideas to continually care for the planet, people and responsible business.
Carbon Emissions and Water
We strive to operate our building efficiently to reduce emissions and water use.
- In 2022, we have reduced our operational energy usage by 10% and water usage by 5% compared to our baseline year of 2019.
- Our daily operational reports are used to effectively schedule heating and cooling needs.
- Air conditioning and lights are turned on in meeting rooms only when needed.
- Lighting in public areas are partially turned off through late hours of the night.
- Through our Conserve program, we change linens every third night unless requested otherwise, and guests may choose to reuse towels by leaving them hanging.
Waste and Circularity
We work to reduce waste where possible.
- We reduce our waste through better management of food production, tailored offerings and adjusting concepts. E.g. We serve food through live cooking stations where our chefs can manage food supply based on guests’ demand.
- Plastic takeaway packaging has been phased out of our operations. Instead, paper-based containers and fibre-based straws are provided upon request. Wooden stirrers and metal cocktail picks are also used in our outlets.
- Food waste is collected and liquefied in-house instead of ending up on landfill.
- Water served using carafes is the default offering for meetings and events.
- Hydration stations are available in all workplaces, encouraging staff to use reusable cups and bottles.
Our Food Philosophy
Hyatt’s philosophy of Food. Thoughtfully Sourced. Carefully Served guides us in how we select ingredients that are better for people, communities and the planet.
- We focus on locally sourced ingredients and feature seasonal items on our menus.
- Support small local farms.
- 70% of our fish and seafood was sustainably sourced in 2021. Our chefs strive to maintain a minimum of 60% sustainably-sourced seafood.
- Endangered species and sharks’ fin have been completely taken off our menus.
- No single-use plastic containers are used in production areas.
- We grow a variety of fresh herbs on-site and use them in the food we serve at restaurants.
Additional Sustainability Measures for Meetings and Events
We aspire to make it easy for our guests to incorporate more sustainable practices during their meetings and events. Our hotel events team is ready to discuss how we can support or provide guidance for the options below:
- Supporting with digital signage and offering Hyatt Apps to help enable a paperless meeting.
- Offering notepads and pens at a central location rather than at every seat.
- Discussing the best ways to reduce food waste, such as ensuring updated headcounts for each meal.
- Designing plant-based (vegan or vegetarian) meals or switching some portion of the meal to be plant-based.
- Coordinating carpools to and from the airport, and/or organizing public transportation information for attendees.