Caring for the planet is a natural extension of Hyatt’s purpose – to care for people so they can be their best. At Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin, we are taking a number of steps to help make a difference.
With the purpose of leading the sustainability efforts of the hotel, we have established a ESG committee which consists of colleagues from different departments. We use Hyatt EcoTrack to track sustainability metrics including greenhouse gas emissions, energy, water, waste, and recycling. These insights are important to help advance efficiency improvements.
Click HERE to learn more about the hotel's ESG initiatives.
Carbon Emissions and Water
- Water-saving initiatives such as low-flow and flush guest-facing water fixtures has significantly reduced water usage
- Electricity saving initiatives through air conditioning systems, lighting systems, heat pumps and electricity usage
- Increase the use of renewable or low carbon energy through supporting the development of sustainable transportation by partnering with Tesla in building the largest high-speed charging station in Hong Kong in this hotel
- Through our Conserve program, we change linens every third night unless requested otherwise, and guests may choose to reuse towels by leaving them hanging.
Waste and Circularity
- Zero waste strategy: reducing our wastage through better management of food production, tailored offering and adjusting concepts, take buffet as an example, food are served through live cooking stations with reference to guests’ demand.
- Partner with local NGOs/charities such as Food Angel, Foodlink Foundation and Eco-Greenery for a variety of food donation programmes and food waste recycling programme
- Zero plastic strategy: sourcing recyclable container and cutlery as much as we could especially for our takeaway packaging
- Water served using carafes is the default offering for meetings and events.
- Hydration stations are available in all workplace.
Our Food Philosophy
- Support small local enterprises such as Wing Woo Bee Farm and iBakery under the Tung Wah Group of Hospitals, and focus on locally sourced ingredients and seasonal items on the menu.
- Sustainably-sourced fish and seafood with a heavy focus on ASC & MSC certified items. Endangered species are completely taken off the menu.
- Grow a variety of fresh herb on-site and use in the food we serve at restaurants.
- Purchase of plant-based meat to provide more options to vegetarians
Additional Sustainability Measures for Meetings and Events
- Digital signage and Hyatt Event Concierge Apps to help enable a paperless meeting.
- Offering notepads and pens at a central location of the venue as a default setting.
- To reduce food waste, event organizers have to provide an accurate headcounts for each meal.
- Plant-based meat, vegan or vegetarian dining options available.
- Coordinating carpools to and from the airport, and/or organizing public transportation information for attendees.