CHICAGO (January 16, 2014) – With a corporate culture characterized by deep care for colleagues and guests, and a new approach to innovation that taps into the individual passion for hospitality among its associates, Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE: H) announced today that its U.S. subsidiary, Hyatt Corporation, has been named to the FORTUNE “100 Best Companies to Work For®” list in America.
The recognition marks Hyatt’s inaugural appearance on the list and comes after the company has spent more than 18 months investing in an effort to evolve the guest and associate experience.
“Hyatt is an incredible family where sincerity is at the core of how we seek to collaborate with each other, and this is why Hyatt has always been a great place to work,” said Rakesh Sarna, group president – Americas for Hyatt. “Now, we are evolving our efforts by focusing on how we connect with our guests and colleagues at a deeper emotional level. We want to further elevate the personal potential of our hotel employees and their passion for hospitality.“
After two years of research that revealed consumers view the hotel industry as “one size fits all,” Hyatt began re-examining its business to create a distinctive experience based on individual preferences. In order to deliver that experience to associates and create a more meaningful career experience, Hyatt is taking steps to transform its operations to unlock individual innovation within each employee, which includes:
- Real-time innovation – Cross-functional teams at hotels are encouraged to find creative solutions to issues facing hotel guests and the workplace by understanding guests’ deeper needs, creating ideas that target those needs and quickly prototyping and testing the ideas. These teams work with guests and colleagues to gather real-time feedback on the prototypes and then continue to iterate to find a solution.
- Associate training – Hyatt has revamped and energized its training approach and has implemented a new series that helps to dig deeper into what its colleagues and guests need. The training, which is based on a model from the Institute of Design at Stanford, emphasizes listening deeply to understand the emotion and the real need behind what people say.
- Operational implementation – Because innovation is happening in real-time at Hyatt hotels, employees can be proud to see their creative problem-solving efforts immediately make an impact on the hotel experience. The most creative teams whose ideas have the biggest impact are also honored with Hyatt’s CEO’s Award for Innovation, which will mark its second annual celebration later this year.
A Career at Hyatt
The FORTUNE survey found that Hyatt earned its first-ever placement because of its collaborative environment, career growth opportunities for employees and strong familial culture. Hyatt employees indicated that they are proud of the work they do and how they can make a difference in the lives of guests.
In order to maintain this people-focused culture, Hyatt hotels actively seek out, hire and retain the most talented, diverse, upbeat people and offer numerous opportunities for personal and professional growth. In addition, Hyatt is extremely fortunate to have long-tenured associates at all levels of the company who deliver an exceptional guest experience every day.
“Regardless of title, we place a great emphasis on human care. We are all in the business of taking care of people, and our culture is one where it is second nature for colleagues to treat one another with the same level of care and attention shown to our guests,” continued Sarna.
In addition to a caring, emotionally connected culture, Hyatt offers benefits for hotel employees inspired by the hospitality it shows to guests, including:
- Complimentary and discounted stays at Hyatt hotels around the world
- Free or subsidized meals during work hours served in associate dining rooms
- A wide variety of wellness programs and fitness activities, like Zumba classes and kickboxing, at each hotel to help employees and their families stay healthy
- Flexible work schedules
- Competitive wage and benefits package with paid holidays and vacation
Hyatt’s placement on the closely watched FORTUNE ranking is in addition to a growing list of workplace awards received in the past 12 months, including a Top 50 Best Places to Work in 2014 by Glassdoor and the 2013 Gallup Great Workplace Award for success in creating an engaged workplace culture for the second consecutive year. Additionally, The Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, Chicago Tribune and Experience.com have named Hyatt as a desired employer for recent graduates and young professionals. AARP has named Hyatt as a top employer for older Americans, and CareerBliss recently named Hyatt the happiest hotel company. Hyatt has also been recognized for diversity hiring efforts by the Human Rights Campaign and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).
For more information or to explore open positions at Hyatt hotels and offices around the world, please visit http://hyatt.jobs.
To pick the 100 Best Companies to Work For, Fortune partners with the Great Place to Work Institute to conduct the most extensive employee survey in corporate America; 257 firms participated in this year's survey. More than 252,000 employees at those companies were surveyed by the institute, a global research and consulting firm operating in 45 countries around the world. Two-thirds of a company's score is based on the results of the institute's Trust Index survey, which is sent to a random sample of employees from each company. The survey asks questions related to their attitudes about management's credibility, job satisfaction, and camaraderie. The other third is based on responses to the institute's Culture Audit, which includes detailed questions about pay and benefit programs and a series of open-ended questions about hiring practices, methods of internal communication, training, recognition programs, and diversity efforts. After evaluations are completed, if news about a company comes to light that may significantly damage employees' faith in management, we may exclude it from the list.
About Hyatt Hotels Corporation
Hyatt Hotels Corporation, headquartered in Chicago, is a leading global hospitality company with a proud heritage of making guests feel more than welcome. Thousands of members of the Hyatt family strive to make a difference in the lives of the guests they encounter every day by providing authentic hospitality. The Company's subsidiaries manage, franchise, own and develop hotels and resorts under the Hyatt®, Park Hyatt®, Andaz®, Grand Hyatt®, Hyatt Regency®, Hyatt Place®, Hyatt House®, Hyatt ZilaraTM, and Hyatt ZivaTM brand names and have locations on six continents. Hyatt Residential Group, Inc., a Hyatt Hotels Corporation subsidiary, develops, operates, markets or licenses Hyatt ResidencesTM and Hyatt Residence ClubTM. As of September 30, 2013, the Company's worldwide portfolio consisted of 535 properties in 47 countries. For more information, please visit www.hyatt.com.
“From FORTUNE Magazine, February 3, 2014 © Time Inc. FORTUNE ‘100 Best Companies to Work For®’ is a registered trademark of Time Inc. FORTUNE and Time Inc. are not affiliated with, and do not endorse products or services of, Hyatt.”
# # #